Pattern and zine Development

I started with various drawings and mark making techniques.

Transferring them into photoshop is how I made the correlations and kaleidoscope like patterns.

I created the zine using indesign.

screen-shot-2017-02-27-at-12-39-21

 

Advertisements

First Tutorial

I had my first tutorial of year 2 with my tutor, David today and brought away some helpful tasks to get me into my visual Literacy module.

Firstly, after trying to figure out where I was with photography it was suggested that I take some pictures to prove that I can photograph substantially. To try something new, it was decided I should try and take a wildlife photograph with a telephoto lens, as I have not used one before, and have not done much wildlife photography at that. Along with this I just needed to be taking photos as much as I could, regardless of technical skill, i.e. take some stock photos. I’ve already taken a few since my tutorial, and will continue to take more as I blog. Lastly it was suggested that I familiarise myself with depth of field better, as it seems that looking through my photographs prior, keeping the background in a solid focus was a problem I was having.

I’m going to use these tasks not as a tick off list, but rather keep all the things I need to do to improve a constant assignment, which will help mark my progress.

Learning how to control depth of field.

Because I’d been having some recent trouble controlling depth of field on shots I tasked myself to inform myself with the technical use of the camera. I started by researching how controlling aperture, ISO and shutter speed. I found that if by taking my time and adjusting the aperture to take a more widely focused shot, it could be done.

My tutor suggested that I use ver simple subject matter, in a sense to prove how well I can take a photograph regardless. The images demonstrate the use of aperture to control the depth of field.

“Start at the widest maximum aperture that your lens allows (a small f-stop such as f/3.5) then press and hold down the DOF preview button. Then, close down the aperture by increasing the f-stop in increments such as f/5.6, f/8 and f/11, pressing the button in between each to see what the effect looks like.”

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-use-the-depth-of-field-preview-button-on-your-dslr/

I also loaned a book from the library to inform myself more preficiently on what the DSLR has to offer. As I was already looking at depth of field and aperture, Imainly based my reading around that.

 

Photography Lenses/Studio Lighting induction.

Today we had a refresh/induction of some camera lenses and the key info on them, as well as an afternoon of experimenting with studio lighting .

However, unfortunately all of the images I took today have been corrupted somehow between transferring them to my desktop in college, so I have no images to show. Fortunately, I have another studio lighting session booked in this friday where I should be able to experiment and have some images to show.

 

 

Evaluation

I felt that my experience on our send and receive project was quite difficult and nerve wracking at times, but nonetheless with a satisfying outcome. Filming at Bramley Baths was a simple enough experience, with no major hindrances. It did however feel slightly strange coming in and filming the people in their daily activities for both sides, as we were the first group to go and film at Bramley Baths. Although this set us at ease at the same time due to the realisation that this was something new for both them and us. I feel a lot more confident using a 5D camera than I did during the first induction, and would be interested in taking one out again for my own purposes, as I think I would like to explore film more in the future. However, it did become difficult when it came to collecting our clips and editing. Because we had our filming days so soon after the briefing we rather erratically decided we would film as much as we could in the time we were given to give us the best choice for when it came to editing. This proved more of a problem when we came to sorting out clips, as we had so much to go through we missed out on that extra editing time we thought we would have. Granted after our clip organisation our team communication could have been better, we did end up editing rather later on and therefore didn’t have a solid narrative by the time Easter came. This was a problem, as Thea and I live quite far away from Leeds, and both of us were unable to acquire a hard drive due to them running out. This made Easter break unproductive in terms of Send and Receive, yet thankfully Hope had some great attempts some edits for us to work with when we returned. Although we had a lot to do at this point most of us were working straight until the deadline and managed to come out with a decent quality promotional documentary for Bramley Baths. Although one of our main problems was having all team members in contact and organisation, it was actually a lot more productive to have only about two people editing at a time, I found. This made me realise that job and time management is beyond vital in projects such as these, and nothing can be done productively without some sort of plan. However, at the final stages we all put in a great deal of effort, and worked through various editing problems together and found solid, sensible solutions to them. Overall I didn’t really find myself invested greatly in the project due to the fact that it wasn’t a subject matter I was very invested in. However, I understand real life situations like these will be prominent in the future, and if I’d like to explore film further these are the sorts of things I need to think about and make work to the best of my ability.