After scrapping our initial plan to use a map as the to do list, we decided that keeping it simpler would work better. It made it so our audience would have to engage more with the exhibition and find what they needed to complete it. The list has various objectives on it, all aiming to fill your goody bag even more.
We also had the idea from the group running the official Instagram account for the event to use some of the pictures they’d put up as prints. These were some fun postcard sized images of various works and something to help fill the goody bag.
The zines were made up of various half toned images of peoples work, that when folded would be made into a concertina. Then to use the poster all that’s needed to do is unfold it. I really like how well the zine and posters work together, the poster almost acts as a cover for each section.
Danny and I were tasked with finding the best and most efficient way to print onto the goody bags. We ordered 200 blank a4 bags and needed to put 1 zine of each area in each, making 600 zines in total. We initially had the idea to stamp the bags, so we got to work on making a stamp from lino and wood with the laser cutter.
However the stamp didn’t work well enough so we attempted to screen print them. But again after exposing our screens and having everything ready the screens didn’t expose properly, leaving us without enough time to re expose. It was at this point Tom pointed out that we should use gift tags for the bags, as it fit thematically and seemed like a great deal quicker to do.
We all liked the idea of a map being a part of the poster/zine, and thought these designs’ aesthetics’ would work great with what the shopping experience side of things. This would also work well with the to-do list, creating solid locations throughout the space. However, due to our tight budget we quickly realised something with this amount of colour and quality would be too expensive. We also needed to print these in a3 to have a large enough folded zine, which only added to the cost.
It was because of this and our tutorial with David we decided to look more into half tone printing.
It’s relatively simple to do on photoshop using the colour halftone tool, it’s just that it won’t work well with high mid-tone images, so contrasting the images enough is key.
According to our groups job, we were supposed to design a zine, compiling various students work and presented within a cohesive way that reflected the style of the exhibition. At first we thought that just designing one zine would be fine, however after reviewing all the work that was going into the space, as well as the chosen layout (three parts to the exhibition/shopping experience, Dark Wit, Playful Encounters and Innocent Joy) it was decided with David in our tutorial to make a zine for each area. We were also wary of the cost behind our work for the exhibition, so we decided to use colour half tone as the imaging method, so we could print it as cheaply as possibly and then also double side each zine to have a poster of each area fold out as well.
These are some initial designs our group came up with for the three poster sides of the zines. It was difficult to make suitable posters, as we only had so many photographs of peoples work as well as some peoples work working better on a digital display, rather than showing their photographed display etc. Furthermore, we needed to wait to add colour by learning what colour schemes were needed to work with each space. Other groups had this information, but were still working on it so trying to correlate our work with theirs was a difficult process.
These are some more designs that Ella came up with:
After showing these all to David in our tutorial he liked them, but thought that it would be more effective to use the images of peoples work as the posters, rather than designing one from scratch. We took this to use and we all had a go at making a simple and effective poster to demonstrate the atmosphere of each area.
I thought the the wood would be a a good reflection of playful encounters, and helped Danny to finalise our three chosen posters. We decided that half tone would be effective for the poster sides as well, as it presented an almost uniform, neutral sense allowing the three of them to work together well.
ShElf was our initial group idea for the space, with the group consisting of Danny, Tom, Jake and myself. We wanted to incorporate elements of a typical christmas grotto, by using workshop and toy building themes. This contrasted with the sometimes quite controversial pieces in the exhibition we thought could be quite effectively jarring for viewers, mixing their ideas of familiarity and tradition during the holiday period. Overall I think we did well conceptually on this pitch, but I don’t think our themes and ideas were solid enough to work with the space and everybody else.